URUGUAY

 

The "Uruguay" was built in 1874 by Laird Brothers at Birkenhead in England for the Argentine Navy.

She was originally built as a warship but is today preserved as a memorial to Argentine exploration of the Antarctic. In 1903 she became famous for her rescue of the Nordenskjold Expedition.

She was fully restored in the 1960's and is currently on exhibit at Buenos Aires, Argentina as shown in the photo at right.

Uruguaycorbeta1874BuenosAires.jpg (42542 bytes)

Uruguay1874inBuenosAires2002.jpg (53782 bytes)

The photo at left ,taken on board the "Uruguay" in 2002, shows a security officer of the "Uruguay" along with the famous Argentine Antarctic Philatelist Salvador Alaimo in front of a special plaque commemorating the 1903 rescue. The "Uruguay" is the oldest Antarctic vessel still afloat.

UruguayFDCa.jpg (43930 bytes)

URUGUAY 1. Argentine First Day Cover (27 November  1999) with pictorial pmk.    US$3

UruguayFDC.jpg (130736 bytes)

URUGUAY 2. Argentine First Day Cover (27 November  1999) of special miniature sheet.    US$6

Uruguaymscvr1.jpg (76268 bytes)

URUGUAY3. 2000, (January 13th) Envelope of special miniature sheet posted Ushuaia Naval base.    US$6

Uruguaymscvr1a.jpg (16548 bytes)

The above cover has been posted through the Argentine Naval Base in Ushuaia and has various naval and postal markings.

The illustration at left shows the markings on the reverse.


Return to Front page of Ship Covers

Return to Home Page of Shades Stamp Shop Ltd